Code of Ethics for Law Enforcement Officials
As upholders and protectors of the law, it is important for all law enforcement officials to understand the ideals to strive for as well as the need for appropriate behavior. In this light, your Superintendent has asked you to prepare an eight to ten slide orientation presentation for new recruits familiarizing them with the Code of Ethics for police officers and the critical ethical issues they are likely to face as they begin their careers in the Criminal Justice field.
Prepare a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation for the new recruits. Your presentation should include:
- A brief outline of the police officer’s Code of Ethics and expectations.
- The pressing ethical issues in law enforcement today.
- The ethical issues faced in the course of duty. Use two case examples to illustrate the typical issues faced by police officers.
- A description of how to manage ethical problems in terms of your approach, the line of action, and the issues at stake.
- A description of how to choose the best possible option.
- A description of the responsibilities and repercussions of your action.
For more information on the ethics training of law enforcement officers, visit the following website page:
- International Association of Chiefs of Police (n.d.) Ethics
Support your responses with examples.
Cite any sources in APA format.